Every day we go through a rollercoaster of experiences that can cause stress or disappointment. These experiences take a toll on our overall health and wellness.
This comprehensive guide from our team at BluZen highlights three pillars of wellness: physical, emotional, and spiritual. We’ll delve into how they each contribute to your overall quality of life and break down what you can implement or change now to be more well rounded in your health and wellness practices.
What’s the Difference Between Health vs. Wellness?
According to the National Library of Medicine, health and wellness are different because health is a state of being. On the other hand, wellness is the state of living a healthy lifestyle. That means wellness is our avenue to good health. We’ll talk about how these top three pillars—emotional, spiritual, and physical wellness—can guide us to optimal health and wellness.
Physical wellness is the most commonly discussed wellness topic and rightfully so. Being physically active can improve your brain health, reduce the risk of disease, strengthen bones and muscles, and improve your ability to do everyday activities. Here are three top ways to improve physical health:
- Movement: Experts recommend adults get at least 150 minutes (two and a half hours) of moderate physical activity a week. Find an activity you enjoy where you can get your body moving such as walking, dancing, or swimming.
- Diet and Nutrition: Things change as you age, including your metabolism. You burn fewer calories, and your body breaks down foods differently. Adjust your diet to include a variety of foods. Increase your fiber and complex carbs intake and decrease the intake of sugar, saturated fats, salt, and foods low in vitamins and minerals.
- Body weight: Maintaining a healthy body weight decreases the risks of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain types of cancer. Regular physical exercise and healthy eating habits manage weight and help to prevent issues with being overweight or obese.
Emotional wellness is the ability to find proper coping strategies when dealing with the trials and adversities of life. Mental health and self-care have been trending in the last few years, and mental health is often used interchangeably with emotional health. Licensed Psychologist Juli Fraga explains that emotional health focuses on being in tune with our emotions, vulnerability, and authenticity. Here are three ways to improve emotional health:
- Relationships and social connection: A recent survey revealed that over three in five Americans are lonely. Stay connected with loved ones both in person or online. If you’re struggling to build a support system of people, try finding a group with similar interests or travel to a different place to meet new people.
- Mindfulness and meditation: Mindfulness is a form of meditation where you focus on being completely present in the moment, without interpretation or judgment. This practice has proven to alleviate stress, anxiety, and pain. You can practice mindfulness through breathing exercises, body scan meditation, and aromatherapy.
- Sleep: Adults typically need seven to eight hours of sleep per night. This 2018 study shows how lack of sleep leads to negative thoughts and makes you more emotionally reactive. Choose a proper pillow and create a positive sleep environment for better rest.
Our mind, body, and spirit are deeply interconnected. Northwestern University defines spiritual wellness as expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life, including one's morals and ethics. It can involve religious activities but doesn’t have to. Spiritual wellness explores questions like what are your values, and do your actions align with those values? Here are three ways to focus on promoting spiritual health:
- Faith communities: 47% of Americans still affiliate with a religious organization. These places of worship can be good opportunities to build your community with people who share your core values. Consider finding one of these communities in your city.
- Volunteer: Find a cause in your community that matters to you. Volunteering can help you feel more purpose and meaning in your life. Helping and serving others often cultivates a spirit of gratitude. Gratitude has positive benefits on both spiritual and emotional health. Whether you’re leading a food drive for the homeless or spending time outdoors with a wildlife conservation group, helping others can improve mood and self-esteem, and contribute to optimal health and wellness.
- Journal: Write in a notebook or type on the Notes app to document moments of your life. Journaling allows you to express yourself, process emotions, and increase your self-awareness without judgment. “Journaling allows us to connect with our wisdom and creativity,” says Stephanie Ludwig, Ph.D., MA, MDiv, Director of Spiritual Wellness in Tucson.
Holistic Health with BluZen
At BluZen, we understand the benefits of being well rounded in your health and wellness. Make lifestyle improvements with these tips and tricks to improve your quality of life. Watch the difference in the way you feel, move, and live! Whether you’re looking to get better sleep or would like to destress through meditation, BluZen is ready to assist in your journey to optimal health and wellness.
The Starlight Ultrasonic Diffuser
Products We Love
Let’s talk BluZen! We offer a range of products designed to enlighten, engage and ease the daily lives of many. Check out what our wellness lovers are buzzing about.
We saved your cart!
Psst, do you want 10% off your
first purchase and free shipping?
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.